Get in Touch with NAME
CSB Group provides clients with professional assistance with the Licensing of Electronic Money Institutions (EMI). As leaders in Electronic Money Institution Licensing, we provide comprehensive consultancy and support service throughout the entire application procedure, establishment of the appropriate company/ies required to conduct the operation/s in Malta and post-licensing support.
Electronic Money Institutions in Malta – Permitted Activities
An Electronic Money Institution (“EMI”) is defined as “a financial institution that has been licensed in accordance with this Act and authorised to issue electronic money or that holds an equivalent authorisation in another country in terms of the Electronic Money Directive to issue electronic money”.
In addition to issuing electronic money, EMIs are entitled, subject to the prior authorisation of the MFSA, to engage in any of the following activities:
- the provision of certain payment services;
- the granting of credit related to certain payment services. Provided that any such credit shall not be granted from the funds received in exchange of electronic money and held in accordance with the prescribed safeguarding requirements.
- the provision of operational services and closely related ancillary services in respect of the issuing of electronic money or to the provision of payment services referred to in point (i) above;
- the operation of payment systems;
- business activities other than the issuance of electronic money, having regard to the applicable law regulating such activities.
Minimum Initial Capital
In terms of the Act, EMIs are expected to satisfy a minimum initial capital requirement of €350,000. This enables EMI’s to enter into the market more affluently when compared to the previous restrictive regime which required an initial capital of €1,000,000.
Main Features of Electronic Money Institutions in Malta
- The minimum initial capital requirement is €350,000. The licensed EMI is obliged to ensure that its own funds do not fall below this amount of initial capital.
- It is necessary to have at least two individuals who will effectively direct the business of the EMI in Malta. Such persons must be of a sufficiently good repute and must have sufficient experience to perform such duties.
- Members of the Board of directors, senior managers and shareholders of the applicant are subject to a rigorous due diligence exercise whereby their fitness and properness will be assessed during the application stage.
- EMIs based in Malta are allowed to outsource services subject to the MFSA’s evaluation on their own merits.
Passporting of Licence
Once the relative Malta licence is obtained, the EMI would benefit from the right to passport such licence into other EU Member State country/ies by following some basic procedures of notification thereby enabling the EMI to provide its services within the relevant Member State/s and/or EEA State/s either through the establishment of a branch or remotely, under the freedom to provide services.
We are impressed by CSB's continuous ambition to exceed customer’s expectations. We truly believe in long lasting partnerships, so in the past 15 years we were lucky enough to take advantage of CSB's international reach and professional services. CSB's industry experts take the administrational burden off our shoulders and let us focus on what matters - business! CSB made us both, more professional and more successful in our international commercial activities. Thank you CSB, smarter business truly starts here!
Gottfried J. Sint
Noricum Investments Ltd
Tum Finance plc engaged CSB Trustees & Fiduciaries Limited to be the Security Trustee for a bond we recently issued. We have closely worked with a team of professionals and are pleased to give our testimonial in this regard. For sure we will request their services in the future. We definitely recommend CSB Trustees & Fiduciaries Limited to be the team that will be always there when you need them for the best advice and satisfaction. You made it so simple Thank you!
Tum Finance plc
AT YOUR SERVICE
Need our assistance with regulated financial services?
CSB Group has the necessary knowledge on regulated industries in Malta and can help you succeed with your financial services set-up.