The New Malta Citizenship by Investment regulations allow individuals and family dependents to be naturalised as Maltese Citizens by making an exceptional service to Malta through direct investment.
Having more than 30 years in the Service Industry, CSB Group is registered as an Accredited Agent with Community Malta and the Residency Malta Agency, with License Number AKM-CSBI-21.
Malta Citizenship by Direct Investment Regulations
Obtaining Maltese Citizenship for the whole family by making a direct investment in the country of Malta.
Aiming to attract high standing and reputed individuals from all over the world, and keeping Malta at the forefront of the Investment Migration market, the Maltese government has released the new expedited route for Citizenship by Investment. The formal name is Maltese Citizenship by Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment, which is commonly referred to as the Maltese Exceptional Investor Naturalisation (MEIN) procedures.
The Maltese Citizenship by Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment is regulated by the Maltese Citizenship Act (CAP. 188) and the Legal Notice 437 of 2020.
Malta Citizenship by Investment
On the 3rd of July of 2020, the Maltese Government confirmed new regulations were to replace the Malta Individual Investor Programme also known as Malta IIP Rules, as the quota of 1,800 applications was reached. Applicants interested in applying for Citizenship by Investment in Malta through the IIP rules had until September 2020 to submit their Citizenship applications, as long as they were IIP residents in Malta or had submitted their IIP residence applications before the 15th of August 2020. From the 20th of November 2020, the new Malta Citizenship by Direct Investment regulations were published. They are formally known as “Maltese Citizenship by Naturalisation for Exceptional Services by Direct Investment”, but commonly referred to as the “Maltese Exceptional Investor Naturalisation” (MEIN) procedures.
How to gain Maltese Citizenship through the Malta Citizenship by Investment (MEIN) Procedures
The new Malta Citizenship by Direct Investment Regulations allows individuals and family dependants to acquire Citizenship, and therefore a Maltese Passport, by making a direct investment in the country.
The direct investments that are required under the Malta Citizenship by Investment (MEIN) procedures are the following:
A government contribution goes to the national development and social fund is deemed to be paid before being granted with Maltese Citizenship, which can vary as below:
Standard procedure: If applying after 36 months, a contribution of €650,000 for the Main Applicant and €50,000 is added for each additional dependent;
Expedited procedure: If the applicant decides to apply at the 12th month or after only a year, a contribution of €750,000 is due, plus €50,000 for each additional dependent.
A Property Investment:
Either buy a property or real estate in Malta with a minimum value of €700,000 or to lease a property for a minimum annual rent of €16,000 and retain it for at least five years from the date of the certificate of Citizenship;
A compulsory donation of €10,000 to a registered non-governmental organisation or society.
The qualifying investment must be held for five years, and the applicant must show strong links to the island.
Processing Fees of the Malta Citizenship by Direct Investment Regulations
Aside from the above qualifying investment criteria, acquiring Maltese Citizenship by Investment (MEIN) procedures requires the payment of the following Due Diligence fees;
Residence Application Fees:
- €10,000 which is a non-refundable investment from the Main Applicant
- €1,000 per dependent
- €27.50 Residence Card Fees per card
Eligibility Process Fees:
Due Diligence Fees:
- €15,000 for the Main Applicant
- €10,000 for adult dependents of over 18 years old
- If the applicant is sponsored, a Due Diligence fee of €15,000
- €1,000 per applicant
Citizenship Application Fees:
After the Eligibility approval, the main applicant has to make the above-mentioned investments, contributions and donations.
- €500 per applicant
In case of residence cards renewals, there will be a charge of €227.50, and for a change in address, the fee will be of €27.50.
We will be glad to provide you with a detailed capital outlay for your specific situation. Please contact us for further information.
Aside from these financial criteria, to get Malta Citizenship by Direct Investment individuals and their families need to pass strong background checks. A strict eligibility criterion is followed, and candidates interested in acquiring Maltese Citizenship need to be law-abiding citizens.
Therefore, and according to the actual Maltese Citizenship by Investment (MEIN) procedures, individuals and their families will be eligible if they make the following undertakings:
- To take the Oath of Allegiance to the Republic of Malta, and to promote the fundamental and democratic values of the Republic of Malta
- To makes an exceptional direct investment in the economic and social development of the Republic of Malta
- Undertakes to declare that they are fit and proper persons to hold Maltese Citizenship
Also, successful candidates will need to comply with all Due Diligence requirements and provide supporting documents, like police criminal records, proof of the source of funds and wealth. Also, supporting documentation like passport copies and birth certificates must be legalised and counterlegalised.
Who can apply for the Maltese Exceptional Investor Naturalisation (MEIN) rules?
An individual his or her dependents can apply for the Malta Citizenship by Investment (MEIN) rules and be granted with Citizenship in Malta through a Direct investment in the country.
The qualifying dependents are defined by the Legal Notice 437 of 2020 as it follows:
- the spouse, as long as it is monogamous marriage. Life partners, including a civil union, domestic partnership, and common law marriage also qualify, and the term “spouse” in these regulations shall be construed as gender-neutral;
- children dependent, under 18 years old at the time that the citizenship application is submitted;
- children over 18 but under 29 years (29 years old not included), at the time that the citizenship application is submitted, who are unmarried and fully or primarily supported;
- dependent children, who at the time of the application have attained the age of eighteen (18) and are qualified as a person with a disability;
- Parent dependents over the age of 55 years old at the time that the citizenship application is submitted, who are fully or primarily supported by the Main Applicant.
The definition of children dependent it also includes adopted children.
Malta Citizenship by Direct Investment: The Benefits
Some of the main benefits of being granted with Maltese Citizenship are the following:
- Freedom and Safety: Live and work in the E.U. member states and enjoy visa-free travel to more than 170 countries, including the USA through an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA).
- Accessibility: For your personal and business life. The strategic location of the island, just a 2-3 hr flight from all major financial capitals of Europe, makes Malta the safe harbour for your family needs.
- A Sound Investment: A strong economy with a booming Real Estate market and also a Fintech hub.
- Citizenship is for life and may be passed onto future generations.
Having a second or even a third Citizenship is an intangible asset for the discerning investors interested in structuring their professional and personal life in a respected and law-abiding country. This has become the preferred asset diversification tool, which gives an edge against geopolitical risk.
Making a Direct Investment in Malta and therefore being granted with Maltese Citizenship through the Malta Citizenship by Direct Investment Regulations is the best way to acquire the most desired Citizenship with one of the stringent due diligence processes in place, a sound and stable investment in one of E.U. booming economies providing a safe harbour with multiple opportunities for the whole family.
How can we help you obtain Maltese Citizenship by Investment?
With a history and tradition in Malta, CSB Group’s goal is to provide top-notch services to Private Clients worldwide. You can get in touch with us at [email protected] where one of our consultants will be able to guide you further.
Malta: a safe haven for you and your family
Albeit small in size, Malta is not short of reasons why one would choose its program to become a European Citizen. With a strategic position in the heart of the Mediterranean for foreign investors and a distinctive island lifestyle, it is safe to state that Malta has the whole package.
The advantageous tax rates and investment programmes offered to foreign investors, coupled with rich culture and history and a pleasant Mediterranean climate, make Malta stand out.
Nowadays, the discerning investor that is interested in becoming a European Citizen and structuring a business and professional life in a stable and booming E.U. economy has the opportunity to obtain a Maltese Citizenship through the Malta Citizenship by Direct Investment.
Malta boasts a robust and booming economy, warm, welcoming people and a vast array of benefits for those looking for a peaceful yet vibrant lifestyle with European access – and most importantly, doing so through a sound and a smart investment.