Get in Touch with NAME
Malta presents a range of options for individuals seeking relocation and companies aiming to expand operations. Notably, the Ordinary Residence programme stands out, offering an attractive environment for those looking to relocate. This option is well-suited for individuals valuing a balanced lifestyle, excellent healthcare, and a favourable tax system. Additionally, Malta's business-friendly landscape and strategic location make it an ideal choice for companies aiming to extend their reach..
Malta Ordinary Residence
The regulations outlined in the Free Movement of European Union Nationals and their Family Members Order 2007 serve as the local legislation that incorporates the provisions of the European Union Council Directive 2004/38. This directive guarantees and regulates the rights of EU and EEA nationals and their family members to freely move and reside within the European Union. The Order establishes the necessary procedures and administrative framework for the implementation of these rights in Malta.
The term "Malta Ordinary Residency" refers to the status granted to individuals who are nationals of the EU/EEA/Switzerland who meet the criteria set by the Maltese government to establish their residence in Malta for an extended period. Ordinary residency is typically pursued by individuals who intend to reside in Malta for a longer duration, often for work, business, or personal reasons.
Ordinary residency status in Malta typically entails the right to live, work, and access various services in the country. It is important to seek professional advice to understand the specific requirements and procedures for obtaining ordinary residency in Malta based on individual circumstances.
Eligibility Requirements for Ordinary Residence in Malta
Ordinary Residence is achieved through the application of an e-Residence card and the application of an Income Tax Number together with genuine links with the Republic of Malta.
There are different grounds on which EU/EEA/Swiss nationals may become ordinarily resident in Malta, which include economic self-sufficiency and employment. In both scenarios, there are certain requirements that one needs to abide by as well as supporting documentation that would need to be produced to the Department upon the submission of the application.
There are also the possibilities for one to obtain a residence card based on self-employment or else as a student which are less common than the ones mentioned.
As per the conditions to apply for Ordinary Residency under Self-Sufficiency one must have:
- A valid EEA/EU/ Swiss Passport;
- Bank statements with a minimum balance of €14k and showing a minimum of 3 months in Malta prior to application. The bank balance would need to be a minimum of €23k for any married couples applying.
- Health insurance covering you in Malta
- Property agreement, rental or purchase in Malta – we can assist you find a property in Malta through our sister company Malta Sotheby’s International Realty
Both EU and non-EU individuals who intend to apply as family members of an EU national are required to provide the following accompanying documents:
- A valid Foreign ID card / passport;
- Birth / marriage certificate proving the relationship to the EU national
- Any Certificates presented must be in English.
- Certificates must be Apostilled by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs from where the Marriage/Birth Certificate has been registered;
- In the case of family members not being the “spouse or child under 21 years of age”, documentation showing the dependency of the person concerned
- Examples of such include bank statements showing money being transferred from you to the dependent for expenses, proving that the dependent still lives with the applicant, medical bills which show expenses incurred for medical treatments or prescriptions paid by the parent, signed affidavit etc;
- In the case of partners, documentary proof of the existence of a durable relationship for the 2 years prior to the application.
- Examples of such include dated photographs, shared bank statements, shared property agreements etc;
- If the EU sponsor is Economically Self Sufficient and/or applicant is applying as ‘partner’, a comprehensive health insurance.
When applying for Malta Ordinary Residence Scheme under Employment, the applicant must provide the following to be considered eligible:
- A valid foreign ID card / passport;
- A signed employment contract or Jobsplus registration certificate issued by Jobsplus;
- Lease/Purchase Agreement.
In both scenarios, whether one submits an Ordinary Residence application based on self-sufficiency or employment, the individual is required to either purchase or rent immovable property prior to submitting the application. Should one opt for renting a property, the rental period of the agreement should not be less than 6 months. It is worth noting that there is no minimum property value requirement.
Application Process for Malta Ordinary Residence
- Engage CSB Group as your trusted partner for all things relating to obtaining Maltese Ordinary residency;
- If applying for Ordinary residency under Employment - sign an employment agreement with a Maltese company;
- If applying for Ordinary residency under self-sufficiency - spend a minimum of three-months in Malta;
- Find a residential property through MSIR and sign a lease/purchase agreement;
- Compile all of the required supporting documentation as per CSB Groups’ official checklists;
- Collect all the readily filled in forms done by CSB Group as well as certified true copies of all the documents;
- Attend your biometric appointment at the Identity Malta Agency;
- Collect your Maltese Residency Card after two to three weeks.
The issuance of an e-Residence document is free of charge to EU and EEA Nationals.
Benefits of Obtaining Ordinary Residence in Malta
By obtaining a Maltese residency card, you gain access to a plethora of benefits and opportunities that contribute to an enriched and fulfilling lifestyle. Let's delve into the advantages that come with holding a Maltese residency card:
Freedom to Reside
With a Maltese residency card, you have the freedom to live and settle in Malta, a beautiful Mediterranean island known for its picturesque landscapes, rich history, and vibrant culture. Enjoy the pleasant climate, stunning beaches, and the charm of Maltese towns and villages.
Work and Business Opportunities
The residency card opens doors to various work and business opportunities in Malta. Whether you're seeking employment or wish to establish your own venture, having a residency card allows you to participate in the local job market and contribute to Malta's thriving economy.
Access to Healthcare
As a resident cardholder, you can benefit from Malta's high-quality healthcare system. Access comprehensive medical services and receive top-notch care from skilled professionals, ensuring your well-being and peace of mind.
Education and Research
Malta offers a diverse range of educational institutions, from primary schools to renowned universities. With a residency card, you can access educational opportunities for yourself and your family, including quality education at all levels and opportunities for academic and research pursuits.
Travel and Exploration
Holding a Maltese residency card grants you the ability to explore the Schengen Area without the need for additional visas. Take advantage of Malta's strategic location and discover the wonders of Europe, visiting neighboring countries and immersing yourself in different cultures and traditions.
Immerse yourself in Malta's rich history, culture, and traditions. Attend local festivals, explore ancient sites, and indulge in traditional cuisine. Being a resident cardholder allows you to fully embrace and experience the Maltese way of life.
Community and Networking
Connect with a vibrant and diverse community of fellow residents, expatriates, and locals. Engage in social events, join clubs and organizations, and build lasting friendships, creating a sense of belonging and support.
Legal Rights and Protection
Holding a Maltese residency card provides you with legal rights and protections under Maltese law. Enjoy the security and peace of mind that comes with being recognised as a lawful resident, ensuring your interests are safeguarded.
Integration and Language Acquisition
Living in Malta with a residency card allows you to integrate into the local community more easily. Immerse yourself in the Maltese language, customs, and way of life, fostering deeper connections and understanding.
Obtaining a Maltese residency card paves the way for long-term stability and future possibilities. It lays the foundation for potential pathways to citizenship and opens up a range of opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Renewal of the e-Residence Card under the Ordinary Residence Scheme
Renewing your Maltese residency card is a straightforward process that ensures you can continue to relish the privileges that come with being a resident. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you through the renewal process:
- Know the Timeline: It's crucial to be aware of the expiry date of your current residency card. Start the renewal process well in advance to avoid any disruptions to your resident status.
- Gather Required Documents: Collect all the necessary documents for the renewal application. This includes a completed application form, a valid passport, proof of address, and a renewed health insurance policy.
- Book and attend the biometric appointment at the Identity Malta Agency in Msida. Your fingerprints and photograph will be re-captured for identification purposes.
- Await Processing: After your appointment, the authorities will review your renewal request. This typically involves verifying the provided documents and conducting any necessary background checks.
- Collect Card: Once your application has been processed, you will be notified to collect your renewed residency card.
- Update Details if Necessary: If there have been any changes to your personal information, such as address or contact details, ensure that you update them with the relevant authorities to keep your records accurate and up to date.
Remember, it's important to initiate the renewal process in a timely manner to avoid any lapses in your residency status. Stay organized, follow the instructions provided by the authorities, and keep copies of all submitted documents for your records.
How can we help?
With over 35 years of experience in the corporate and financial services industry in Malta, CSB Group is committed to providing top-notch services to Private Clients worldwide. CSB Group, has been providing Investment immigration services to High-Net-Worth families since the inception of these programmes.
We can assist you with your eResidence card application, filing of taxes and assisting you with the Real Estate side thanks to the Malta Sotheby’s International Realty brand, which falls under CSB Group umbrella.
In our dealings with CSB Group for over 10 years, we have found every member of the staff and leadership team to be wholly and completely knowledgeable and professional when doing business in, and from Malta.
Liberation Group Holdings
"I have been working with CSB for over 12 years and the words that come to my mind are trust and responsibility. CSB is an integrated part of my companies – it’s simple and safe and lets me focus on the bigger picture."
Andreas L. Borgmann
Reddo Holding Ltd
We have had the good fortune of working with Andres and his team at CSB on a variety of citizenship and residency matters for our clients. CSB has given us thoughtful and thorough advice and been an invaluable partner. Despite being many time zones and thousands of miles away, Andres and his team are incredibly responsive and willing to speak at any hour of the day. We would certainly recommend them to anyone seeking best-in-class legal advice related to global citizenship and residency issues.
An independent investment office
CSB Group have been loyal partners to our development-stage medical technology company. CSB provides local oversight to our Malta subsidiary that is thorough and compliant. As a result, we have the confidence that a successful development project should yield maximum value for our shareholders.
We chose Malta as our new permanent home and CSB Group to help us through the residency process. They went way beyond our expectations treating our application as if it were their own. Their service was nothing short of stellar from understanding our needs preparation of the required documentation, and follow-up phase during a period with the sharpest movement restrictions. Malta deserves a place on every investor’s radar, mostly because of the surprising efficiency permeating the place, efficiency which starts with CSB.
AT YOUR SERVICE
Need our assistance with Citizenship & Residence Planning services?
CSB Group has more than 35 years of experience and the expertise needed to help you with all your immigration service needs.