Get in Touch with NAME
The aim of this Programme is to make Malta, the ideal place for start-ups to become established and to eventually grow within the local and European economy. The Programme will provide non-EU citizens with favourable conditions such as Maltese and EU residency for 3 years which can be extended for a further five years.
Who is eligible and what are the requirements for the Startup Residence Programme?
The eligibility criteria for the programme is illustrated below. The applicant must:
- Have a serious intention to establish and/or grow their business on the island;
- Be the founder/co-founder of an enterprise, which has not been registered for more than seven years, has not taken over the activity of another enterprise, has not yet allocated profit and has not been created via a merger;
- Be third country nationals;
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Be able to put down a tangible investment and/or paid-up share capital of a minimum value of EUR 25,000. If the start-up is made up of more than four co-founders, EUR 10,00 has to be put down per additional co-founder. The maximum number of co-founders eligible for the Startup Residence Programme is six (6);
- Have presence in Malta in both the business aspect as well as the personal aspect;
- Be in possession of a health insurance covering him/her in Malta;
- Be in possession of enough financial resources to be able to support himself and his family in Malta;
- Have no criminal record;
- Not have been already rejected for residence/citizenship status;
The applicant must also not come from the countries of Afghanistan, North Korea, Iran, Democratic Republic of Congo, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Yemen and Venezuela. Furthermore, the Startup Residence Programme is specifically aimed for start-ups who focus on specific industries. Such industries include:
- Software development
- Health, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals and life sciences;
- Eco startups involved in the blue, green and sustainable industries.
Application Process & Timeline
One would need to submit an application form and business plan to Malta Enterprise to ensure that the activity is eligible for such under-taking. The residence permits will be issued once the application has been approved and the start-up is fully incorporated in Malta and registered with the relevant local authorities.
Benefits of the Malta Startup Residence Programme
The Malta Startup Residence Programme is the first of its kind as it gives third country nationals the opportunity to establish a business in an EU country as well as obtaining a three-year residence visa that can be extended for an additional five years.
Furthermore, beneficiaries of the Malta Startup Residence Programme will also benefit from Malta’s advantageous tax regime and its high standard of living. In addition, third country nationals who continuously reside in Malta for five years will be eligible to apply for Permanent Residency.
Key Advantages of Choosing Malta for your Start-up
- Travelling made easy due to Malta’s central Mediterranean location;
- A diversified economy heavily based on tourism, iGaming, manufacturing and financial services;
- Approachable legal and banking systems;
- Various support services are available aimed at aiding start-ups in Malta succeed;
- A high standard of public healthcare, education and safety;
- A welcoming and warm environment.
Malta Start-up Ecosystem
The start-up ecosystem in Malta is appealing to both local and foreign entrepreneurs. This is because Malta offers straight-forward incorporation regulations with low costs which is also complemented with an attractive tax system.
In fact, the Malta Startup Ecosystem is a Leader in innovation, ranked at number 59 globally and number 20 for start-ups in Western Europe.
Funding and Finance Schemes Available for Startups in Malta
The Malta Enterprises has several schemes which are specifically aimed at aiding start-ups during all of their stages. Such schemes include the ‘Business Start’ scheme, the ‘Startup Finance’ scheme, the ‘Business Development’ scheme and the ‘Soft Loan Scheme’.
How We Can Help Your Start-up
CSB Group is a leading and authorised Corporate Service Provider in Malta with over 35 years of experience in the commercial sphere.
When it comes to the Startup Residence Programme, our Immigration Department and our Corporate Service Department, will help you from start to finish with the final aim being obtaining residency and kickstarting your start-up in Malta.
CSB Group have been loyal partners to our development-stage medical technology company. CSB provides local oversight to our Malta subsidiary that is thorough and compliant. As a result, we have the confidence that a successful development project should yield maximum value for our shareholders.
"I have been working with CSB for over 12 years and the words that come to my mind are trust and responsibility. CSB is an integrated part of my companies – it’s simple and safe and lets me focus on the bigger picture."
Andreas L. Borgmann
Reddo Holding Ltd
We have had the good fortune of working with Andres and his team at CSB on a variety of citizenship and residency matters for our clients. CSB has given us thoughtful and thorough advice and been an invaluable partner. Despite being many time zones and thousands of miles away, Andres and his team are incredibly responsive and willing to speak at any hour of the day. We would certainly recommend them to anyone seeking best-in-class legal advice related to global citizenship and residency issues.
An independent investment office
In our dealings with CSB Group for over 10 years, we have found every member of the staff and leadership team to be wholly and completely knowledgeable and professional when doing business in, and from Malta.
Liberation Group Holdings
We chose Malta as our new permanent home and CSB Group to help us through the residency process. They went way beyond our expectations treating our application as if it were their own. Their service was nothing short of stellar from understanding our needs preparation of the required documentation, and follow-up phase during a period with the sharpest movement restrictions. Malta deserves a place on every investor’s radar, mostly because of the surprising efficiency permeating the place, efficiency which starts with CSB.
AT YOUR SERVICE
Need our assistance with Citizenship & Residence Planning services?
CSB Group has more than 35 years of experience and the expertise needed to help you with all your immigration service needs.