Shipping and Yachting Services in Malta
Get in Touch with NAME
Backed by our expertise, high level of service, our dedication as well as our contacts within the super yacht industry in Malta, CSB Group is uniquely able to offer an integrated service for our clients’ shipping and yachting requirements. As a one-stop shop, CSB Group is one of the Malta-based specialists in ship and yacht services with the necessary expertise to handle a variety of services including the registration under the Malta Flag. Under the Malta Flag a yacht may be registered as a Private yacht or a Commercial yacht whilst we may also assist with merchant vessel registrations.
Shipping and Yachting in Malta
Malta has, for years, been a maritime nation of repute. Its strategic location in the centre of the Mediterranean, natural harbours and extensive range of maritime services such as shipbuilding and repair, Freeport, bunkering, ship supplies and towage services have contributed to making Malta a leading maritime hub. The island’s location has given it great strategic importance and Malta is now recognised as being an entree-port to the EU.
Malta has retained its importance in the shipping and yachting world not only because of its geographic location but also because it offers attractive and competitive incentives, thereby making Malta one of the top flags in the world. Malta’s solid roots as a maritime settlement continue to enhance and expand the island’s footing in the maritime industry.
Besides offering world class berthing facilities to the super yacht industry, Malta offers ship and yacht owners several attractive solutions. As a one-stop shop, CSB Group, via their dedicated team can provide the required professional and dedicated assistance on temporary importation, onward supply relief, commercial yacht registration and VAT-efficient finance leasing structures to name a few.
Shipping and Yachting Services
CSB Group’s maritime practice enjoys wide professional recognition, placing us amongst the leaders in Maltese ship registration and finance transactions in Malta. We provide a comprehensive package of legal and advisory services pertaining to all aspects of shipping, including purchasing and leasing of yachts, company formation, registration of vessels, drafting of documents and provision of legal opinions on statutory mortgages in Malta. We also provide services related to the Sale and Purchase of Yachts and Vessels, Bunkering, Environmental Advisory, and Ship Recycling.
Furthermore, CSB Group will be able to assist you with the necessary ongoing administrative work concerning the regulatory, technical and administrative upkeep of Malta flagged vessels and their respective owning companies being either Maltese or international owners.
What are the advantages of flying the Malta Flag?
- Yachts may be registered on behalf of a company or another entity irrespective of nationality;
- Low company formation, ship registration and tonnage tax costs;
- Attractive tax incentives to yacht and superyacht owners;
- No restrictions on the sale or mortgaging of Maltese registered yachts and superyachts;
- Twenty four hour, seven days a week service from the Authority for Transport in Malta in response to urgent matters;
- A good international reputation as a flag of choice and confidence;
- Availability of a whole range of maritime services including very reputable and experienced legal and corporate services supporting registration, management and administration;
- A dynamic administration with one of the largest ship registers in the world and very active in European Union fora and international organisations;
- A clear strategic vision supporting business and the marine industry;
- A strategic geographical position.
Who may register a yacht/vessel under the Malta Flag?
A yacht/vessel may be registered in the name of Maltese Shipping Companies or may otherwise be registered in the name of a body corporate constituted anywhere in the world, and an individual from the European Union and Switzerland in his/ her own name by virtue of a Resident Agent service.
What constitutes a commercial yacht?
A commercial yacht must be of at least 15 meters in length and registered as a commercial yacht under the Malta flag. A yacht registered commercially must undergo a survey by an approved surveyor (by the Authority for Transport in Malta) and must be in compliance with the Commercial Yacht Code drawn up by the Merchant Shipping Directorate within Transport Malta.
What are the advantages of registering a commercial yacht under the Malta Flag?
- No trading restrictions imposed on Maltese registered commercial yachts;
- Fast crew-acknowledgement certification process with STCW endorsements processed within a maximum period of three months from acknowledgement;
- No VAT would be chargeable by the yacht owner during the operation of a commercial yacht if the person leasing the yacht uses it for an economic activity. However, the yacht owner may still recover VAT which was incurred on goods and services acquired to the yacht owner’s chartering operations;
- When a licensed shipping organisation sells a yacht, no Malta Tax is charged;
- No Malta Tax is due when disposing of shares in a licensed shipping organisation.
What age can the vessel be to be registered under the Malta Flag?
A commercial or a pleasure yacht can of any age as long as they are considered to be seaworthy. Merchant vessels over the age of 15 years must first undergo an inspection prior to the registration.
Shipping & Yachting Services
We offer the following related services.
I have been using CSB Group in Malta to register our company and our ship under the Malta flag, and have always been completely satisfied with their performance. They do an excellent job, are always punctual, and offer the most competitive rates in Europe! A young and Smart team! We have also involved them on occasion for extra legal jobs, and recently I am using their accounting service to fulfil the VAT requirement and to complete our balance sheets. I'm happy to recommend the services of CSB Group.
Kite Investimenti Limited of Cyclos II
This is to express my absolute satisfaction in my dealings with Sacha Farrugia in the process of opening my company over the last few weeks. I was really blown away with their level of professionalism and customer service. They went above and beyond to ensure that all of my questions and curiosities were met and understood, and their level of knowledge was excellent. I would have no problem recommending your company to others in the future and will continue to use your services myself.
Phoenix Classic Charters Limited